Patient Financial Counselor - Seton University Medical Center Brackenridge
Shifts available: 9am - 6pm, 10am - 7:30pm, and 10 am - 6 pm
Austin, TX USA
Set your sights on a role making a real difference in the healthcare system. We’re looking for a self-motivated Patient Financial Counselor to join our team. We have a relentless focus on driving results for our customers and enabling them to invest more into patient care; in turn, this allows us to continue to grow our company and your career.
The Patient Financial Counselor (PFC) will be responsible for counseling patients or parties responsible for payment. The Patient Financial Counselor will educate patients on their responsibilities and potential options. The PFC is responsible for accurately and compassionately explaining to the patient their financial obligations during the financial counseling
session. In addition, the counselor must obtain any necessary pre-certifications or authorizations and assist with any financing or third party applications.
In order to be successful in the role, the Patient Financial Counselor must display a strong sense of patient care and attention to detail.
Your day to day role will include:
- Explain financial responsibilities for services received, payment options and collection procedures to patients or parties responsible for payment.
- Counsel patients regarding insurance benefits and recommend alternative sources of payment and financial assistance when appropriate.
- Contact insurance carriers or other sources and act as an advocate for the patient.
- Initiate process for collecting prepays due and perform follow up activity to insure maximum collection is achieved.
- Identify hospital, public and private financial assistance programs for patients unable to meet their financial obligations.
- Work with Case Management, Clinical Staff, Medicaid Vendor, and Family Independence Agency to assist patients and families in completing assistance program applications and determine eligibility and coverage.
- Notify manager, physician and servicing department of possible delay of service for any elective, urgent admissions, procedures and scheduled diagnostic testing which have not been approved prior to the date of service.
- Maintain accurate documentation of pre-processing information.
- Provide assistance to uninsured patients and families in completing and filing Medicaid or assistance program applications with the appropriate agency.
- Perform all other duties and projects as assigned.
- High school diploma is required
- At least 3 years of credit, collection or financial counseling experience required
- Working experience with the Microsoft Office Suite
- Strong customer service skills with the ability to communicate effectively with patients and outside agencies
- Ability to work in a team environment
- Excellent written and oral communication skill
- Positive, driven attitude with a willingness to go the extra mile to help patients and the hospital achieve maximum reimbursement from coverage sources
It would be great if you also have:
- Previous experience as a financial counselor with background in medical terminology preferred
- Understanding of State and Federal assistance
R1 is changing healthcare by infusing operational discipline and proprietary technology in hospital financial processes. We are an industry leader; we are the only independent organization with a comprehensive service and technology offering for hospital revenue cycle management, and we have achieved leading outcomes for our customers.
- A strong financial performing, growing organization that will keep you on your toes with new ideas, changes and opportunities to learn and grow in abundance.
- A culture of excellence, driving customer success so they can focus on improving patient care and on giving back to the community.
- A Total Rewards package which may include such things as: competitive compensation package, the ability to choose from a comprehensive benefit program mostly funded by R1 that includes medical, dental, vision, flexible spending accounts, commuter benefits, life and disability insurance, along with work life balance programs including paid time off for personal time, illness and volunteering, and we offer a retirement savings plan and continuing training and development and so much more!
Sound like you? Let’s talk!
R1 is a leading provider of revenue cycle management services and Physician Advisory Services to healthcare providers. We are the largest independent end-to-end revenue cycle provider and have the longest operating history in the revenue cycle industry. R1’s objective is to be the one trusted partner to manage revenue so providers and patients can focus on what matters most. Our distinctive operating model and values includes people, processes, and sophisticated integrated technology/analytics that help customers realize sustainable improvements in their operating margins and improve the satisfaction of their patients, physicians, and staff. We are dedicated to transforming the commercial infrastructure and patient experience in healthcare.